RESOURCES: TOOLS AND BOOKS
Supplies and Tools Resources
The lists of required tools will be sent to applicants during the enrollment process.
These catalogs are available from the supply houses and are to be ordered as soon as possible in order to purchase tools.
- Schaff Piano Supply Company Local: 847/438-4556, Toll free: 800/747-4266
- Pianotek Supply Company Local: 248/588-9055, Toll free: 800/347-3854
The following books are required for coursework during the curriculum and available either through Barnes and Noble, the Piano Technician’s Guild, or directly from the publisher. For the two tuning books, please check with Robert Guenther, tuning instructor, before purchasing these books; he can help you get a discount.
- Piano Parts and Their Functions, by Campbell and Mason, available from PTG. To contact the PTG: 913/432-9975
- Understanding Wood, A Craftsman's Guide to Wood Technology by R. Bruce Hoadley, The Taunton Press, ISBN: 1561583588 (commercially available--check for most recent edition)
- The Wonders of the Piano-The Anatomy of the Instrument, by Catherine C. Bielefeldt--Please read this book prior to the start of classes. This book is now available gratis from CSPT upon the completion of the Enrollment Agreement.
- Temperament: How Music became a Battleground for the Great Minds of Western Civilization by Stuart Isacoff, Vintage Books, A Division of Random House, ISBN 0-37570330-6
- How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony (and why you should care) by Ross W. Duffin, W.W. Norton and Co., ISBN 978-0-393-33420-3
The following are strongly recommended books, some available through the PTG website, some commercially through Barnes and Noble, and some through piano supply houses:
- A Piano Technician's Guide to Field Repairs by Stephen H. Brady, RPT, published by the Piano Technician's Guild
- The Piano Book, 4th Ed. by Larry Fine, Brookside Press
- On Pitch, by Rick Baldassin (PTG), revised 2007
- Let's Tune Up, by John Travis
- A Guide to Restringing, by John Travis
- Pierce Piano Atlas, by Bob Pierce
- The Piano Action Handbook, published by the Piano Technician's Guild